WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!



 
HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Share
 

 Atlas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeMon 26 Dec 2011, 5:30 pm

You are now a man. You appear to be in your mid to late 20s, and are currently wearing the dusty khaki attire normally attributed to a stereotypical archaeologist. You are standing, breathing quite heavily, in front of a number of well-dressed people in various states of reaction to your presence and what it is you just told them.

But before you get ahead of yourself, what is your name?
Back to top Go down
€rim
User
€rim

Posts : 488
Join date : 2011-09-29
Age : 21
Location : c a l i f o r ni

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeMon 26 Dec 2011, 5:40 pm

Alan Oswald

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Steam: DIY Homewrecker
Skype: skype sucks get with the times
Tumblr: touhomo.tumblr.com
3DS Friendcode: 3110-5166-7309

n i c e
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeMon 26 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

Crim LOLPRANK wrote:
Alan Oswald

Your name is Alan Oswald.

As has been previously mentioned, you are standing in front of a a large group of well-dressed people, most of whom have resumed the idle chatter you interrupted by barging into their lovely dinner in the state you're in. Some of them still shoot weird looks at you, as if your presence in the room were unwelcome.

As well it should, you suppose. You finished your presentation on the archaeological digs you took over leadership of last week, and these are your investors. They clearly are unfazed by your brief statement about thinking you've found something incredibly big, mainly due to the fact that you're new, you're covered in dirt, and you have no pictures. You exit the room hastily, hoping to not lose too many rich people (and mainly their money) tonight.

As you drive away from the pricey convention center they insisted you reserve for this meeting, what will you do to keep your mind off of what you just did and how many millions of dollars you are absolutely certain you're going to lose now?
Back to top Go down
TheNarrator
Common Poster
TheNarrator

Posts : 623
Join date : 2011-11-03

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeMon 26 Dec 2011, 8:35 pm

>AO: Recall exactly what it is you discovered.
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 3:07 pm

Objectio wrote:
>AO: Recall exactly what it is you discovered.

See, that's the thing. You aren't entirely certain what it is you've discovered, if you even have discovered something as big as you think it may be. As of the time you left, your men had unfortunately only been able to unearth the gigantic cavern in a perfectly hemispheric shape. By the time you realized what time it was and found out you had to get back to New York for your first progress report (for whatever reason, your investors insist upon face-to-face meetings, even when it disrupts your schedule and you have nothing to show them.

It's also some sort of gala or something completely unrelated to you, you don't know or care particularly, since you didn't host it. Aside from the factor that only your investors were there. You've taken the time and been to enough previous meetings to know at the very least that that's what they look like. Whatever. It doesn't matter.

So apparently you were excavating a mountain in Greece because of weird hieroglyphs and stuff found recently in multiple parts of the planet that were quite similar. Marking them all on a world map showed that they were much more common as you got closer and closer to Greece, and specifically a few mountains in the center of the country, where the glyphs abruptly stop.

Intrigued by this, your old and recently deceased college professor decided to start an expedition to those few mountains. Given that despite your absentmindedness which your geekier friends insist is called Cloud-Cuckoolanderism, you were his best student and graduated the year he died, and that you were incredibly interested in this project, he decided to let you continue the project at the very least until someone more qualified for the task could be chosen.

Considering your enthusiasm about the project itself, as well as your recent discovery, within a week of your taking over, you are optimistic about where this could take you. The people who originally paid for the operation, expecting it to be done entirely under the observation of your professor, a highly respected individual in the field of archaeology, are much less so.

Anyways, that's all you can really say on the matter. As of when you left, all anyone had discovered was a hole in the ground, and only sonic imagery can even suggest the scope and breadth of this hole. The others called you as you drove up to the center to say it was a perfect dome, and they'll probably be able to tell you more by the time you get back.

Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

The question now is when you want to return to Greece. It is currently 10:00pm, but to your jetlagged mind, it's closer to noonish. Should you find a hotel room, or catch the quickest flight back?
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

Posts : 475
Join date : 2011-11-12
Age : 21
Location : Tejas.

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

>AO: Find a hotel and rest, this will be a big discovery.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
hi im a dumbass


Quote :
[15:54:42] Crim : goddammit why do people have to be so complicated WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST HAVE PRESET DIALOGUE.

[15:55:01] Crim : SO THAT I CAN LOAD AN AUTOSAVE AND GET THE MOST FAVORABLE OUTCOME FOR EVERYBODY.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
TheNarrator
Common Poster
TheNarrator

Posts : 623
Join date : 2011-11-03

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

Hmm... if we go to the hotel room, we might miss out on several oppertunities. On the other hand, due to jet-lag, if we go to the hole and nothing is really there, than insomnia will make us just look like a giant idiot.

Clearly, the latter option is how all the beginnings in 'obtain rare MacGuffin, do cool stuff' movies begin, so...

>AO: You get to that flight. You get to that flight right now mister.
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 3:35 pm

Tex wrote:
>AO: Find a hotel and rest, this will be a big discovery.

Objectio wrote:
>AO: You get to that flight. You get to that flight right now mister.

Honestly, you aren't sure which you want to do. On the one hand, were you to sleep, you would get the rest you sorely need, having stayed awake more or less the whole weekend (it is Monday evening), and you would definitely be slightly closer to on-time if you left in the morning and slept on the plane.

However, on the other hand you have the new stuff your people could be finding at this very second without you to be there. And you didn't bring any luggage. Yeah, you're going to go get a plane.

You're going to be doing nothing for a while, and you probably won't get back to Greece for twelve hours or so.

You are now no longer Alan Oswald. He is a boring person while asleep or in line for an airplane ticket. Should you be him again later or be someone else and then be him again later?
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

Posts : 475
Join date : 2011-11-12
Age : 21
Location : Tejas.

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

>Be someone else and then be him again later.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
hi im a dumbass


Quote :
[15:54:42] Crim : goddammit why do people have to be so complicated WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST HAVE PRESET DIALOGUE.

[15:55:01] Crim : SO THAT I CAN LOAD AN AUTOSAVE AND GET THE MOST FAVORABLE OUTCOME FOR EVERYBODY.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
TheNarrator
Common Poster
TheNarrator

Posts : 623
Join date : 2011-11-03

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

Tex wrote:
>Be someone else and then be him again later.
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

Tex wrote:
>Be someone else and then be him again later.

You are suddenly a female human being approximately twelve hours from Alan by plane and fifty feet into the ground, suspended by a rope. You are there entirely intentionally.

But first, what is your name?
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

Posts : 475
Join date : 2011-11-12
Age : 21
Location : Tejas.

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 4:38 pm

>Your name shall be: Katherine Smith.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
hi im a dumbass


Quote :
[15:54:42] Crim : goddammit why do people have to be so complicated WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST HAVE PRESET DIALOGUE.

[15:55:01] Crim : SO THAT I CAN LOAD AN AUTOSAVE AND GET THE MOST FAVORABLE OUTCOME FOR EVERYBODY.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
TheNarrator
Common Poster
TheNarrator

Posts : 623
Join date : 2011-11-03

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 4:42 pm

>Venus Monople
Back to top Go down
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Posts : 690
Join date : 2011-10-01
Age : 24
Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 8:52 pm

Venus Monople?

> Kathy Smith

_______________________________________________________________________________________
For those that break our hearts; who hurt our self-esteem; who think nothing of us; who don't want to hurt us, but do anyways; For those we love, who don't know the meaning of the word...

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec 2011, 1:07 am

Objectio wrote:
>Venus Monople

You'll be disappointed, honestly, if you find something at the bottom of this hole that could feasibly be named that.

And it's also not your name. Duh.

Tex wrote:
>Your name shall be: Katherine Smith.

The_Unecrosus wrote:
> Kathy Smith

Your name is Katherine Smith. But you prefer to be called Kathy.

You are slowly being lowered down into the hole you and your colleagues recently discovered. In fact, it is the very same one Alan is hopefully in the United States blathering at length about, as it seems to you that he's very good at it. In reality, it's mainly because he just talks a lot when he's near you because he's had a crush on you for practically as long as you've known him. You are dimly aware of this, and periodically take advantage of it, but rarely. You're just not that kind of person.

So back to the situation, you are slowly (very slowly) being lowered into the pit. The weak sound technology your team uses in order to not damage the ancient pit could not locate the bottom, nor could the lights you are actually capable of pointing downwards, although why you would need ones that point up at a dig is beyond you.

You apparently reach the 500-foot limit of the rope you used without seeing a single thing. As you are slowly brought back up, you cough periodically at the levels of dust in this place. The midafternoon sunlight is barely visible through the five-foot-diameter hole you've used to penetrate this huge dome, the dust is so thick. With no breeze for several thousand years, and your instruments failing to aim the dust upward as you drilled, you can imagine why you can't see through it. That doesn't stop it from being incredibly irrtating, both literally and figuratively.

Once you get hauled completely out of the dome, the interim manager (while Alan is gone, and possibly the full-time manager as soon as investors decide it's been long enough to stop following the deceased's wishes) asks you what you saw. You answer with a curt "Nothing." Because that's exactly what you saw. Nothing.

He tells you that the computer geeks you brought along to fix stuff did some geometry while you were down there, and assuming it is a perfect hemisphere and your sonar stuff is correct, the dome could possibly be over a 1000 feet tall, thus postponing your growing concern that it was simply a natural anomaly, however weird it may have been, that made a sinkhole the size of a fairly good sized town in the middle of a tectonically active mountain range.

What should you do? Alan is probably still in New York, but even were he already on a plane back, he would still probably be closer to a store with actually significant amounts of rope than any of you are. Without a helicopter, it's a bumpy, five-hour ATV drive to the nearest village, longer to someplace where you can buy rope rather than borrow it. Unfortunately, if he's already on the plane, there's a good chance you won't be able to get to him, and even if you can, he'd probably buy the wrong kind of rope, if not forget entirely. So what will it be?
Back to top Go down
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Posts : 690
Join date : 2011-10-01
Age : 24
Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec 2011, 5:15 am

Hmmm... 17+ hours for Alan (plane and ride from airport to dig site)... or 11+ Hours for ATV ride. Chance that Alan could not bring any rope anyways so add 11+ Hours to that for a trip back. 28 hrs > 11 hrs. But... if it's mid day there it would be midnight by the time you got back and you would be very much tired. Alan would most likely be back by sun up, or relatively close. Where he would be exhausted. Figuring one person tired, rather than two is better, and that arriving at a village at sun down for rope is frowned upon. I deduce...

>KS: Call Alan and see if he can get some rope. If he cannot, or does not answer, see if there is enough time to reach the village well before sun down.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
For those that break our hearts; who hurt our self-esteem; who think nothing of us; who don't want to hurt us, but do anyways; For those we love, who don't know the meaning of the word...

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
andavocados
User
andavocados

Posts : 498
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24

Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitimeTue 03 Jan 2012, 12:47 am

((So I swear I had an update written on Thursday. And then I was without internet until yesterday, basically, and found out that I hadn't updated. So here is one.))

((Also, thank you for the headmath that I was incapable of doing at midnight whenever it was I last updated.))

The_Unecrosus wrote:
>KS: Call Alan and see if he can get some rope. If he cannot, or does not answer, see if there is enough time to reach the village well before sun down.

Oh dear. Call? Alan? Maybe you forgot to mention how bubbly he is around you. Maybe he did. But this would most likely be disastrous. You guess it really is your best option, though, so you inform the interim manager (who shall and will forever remain unnamed, and also, for whatever reason, decided to wear a red shirt today).

Well. Here goes.

Quote :
BLOOP BLOOP BLOOP
BLOOP BLOOP BLOOP
Alan: Hi, this is Alan!
Kathy: Hello, Alan, I --
Alan: Sorry I can't take your call right now, but I am probably either presenting something very important or don't have reception! Please leave a message after the little beep thingy.
Kathy: ...
Kathy: ...

Oh god. He must have forgotten to stop recording it again. You're not going to wait until the two minutes time out.

Quote :
Kathy: Hello, Alan. We have found that the amount of rope we brought was vastly insufficient for what we found. If you could possibly pick up some more rope between now and when you return, that would be grea --
*click*
Alan: Hi, Kathy! Of course I can do that for you! I'll just stop by somewhere once I land!
Kathy: You're already flying back?
Alan: Yeah, the presentation thing didn't go very well. It's like they don't like me or something.
Kathy: I wonder why.
Alan: I know, right? But yeah. I'll probably arrive in Athens in eleven hours or so, though, so at best you'll have anything I get early tomorrow.
Kathy: Well, the chances of you finding something are higher than anything we could get to in that amount of time.
Alan: True, I guess.
Kathy: We'll check out the nearest villages, see if they have anything we can use. I'll call you if we find something.
Alan: Okay, thanks!
Kathy: Also, you may want to shorten the pause in your answer recording, or whatever it happens to be called. I responded to it thinking it was you waiting for a response.
Alan: Of course, that's the point! This is my answering recording! Don't blame me for getting some of the timing off, I can't be perfect!
Kathy: ...
Alan: DOT DOT DOT TO YOU, TOO! See you later!
*beep*
Kathy: What?
*click*

What?

Crap, you just said you'd call him, too. Well, no use crying over basic social ineptitude. It's never really been your thing to know what not to say, anyway.

You return to the interim manager to find that he already sent someone off to get rope with your only translator. This is incredibly characteristic of this guy. Going off and doing everything in his authority to vaguely inconvenience everyone else. Or something. You'd fire him, but that's Alan's job and he happens to be related to one of the investors. So you can't, even if you could.

You suddenly have nothing to do until the idiot the manager sent out gets back or Alan returns, whichever happens first. You honestly don't particularly care which, you just want to see what's at the bottom of this thing.

Objectio wrote:
Tex wrote:
>Be someone else and then be him again later.

YOU ARE SUDDENLY ALAN OSWALD ELEVEN HOURS IN THE FUTURE FROM WHEN YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE (?) TALKED TO KATHY. You swear you would have answered her had you been able to (you were still taking off at the time), although it probably wouldn't have gone nearly as well as that answering recording, not that you'd know that, since you didn't record it yet. As far as you know, she's just feeling a little off today and is talking to you like you were actually there or something.

You just landed at Athens International Airport, perfect timing. As you run to find your rental car and get to the landing pad where you will catch the helicopter your investors have so graciously provided for major trips to and from the dig site, such as this, you manage to completely forget about rope. You're much to busy thinking about Ka -- ARCHAEOLOGY. ARCHAEOLOGY. AND... STUFF. No hot coworkers you may or may not have a crush on. At all. Definitely not.

You still have a chance to remember, though. You've got about five minutes until you reach the designated takeoff point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Atlas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atlas   Atlas I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Atlas
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: A Magical Place :: IC Stock :: Old IC-
Jump to: