WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC

Go down 
+5
Snowy
Patches
€rim
Admiral Ji
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 10 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm

I'm still here.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat 11 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

I don't remember seeing this. SO I guess I am here now.
Back to top Go down
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-
Common Poster
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 12 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

It'd be pretty helpful if you could all give me ideas for Demon Elements, outside of the original ones. I am stripping a few away too, because they were a tad esoteric, as someone once told me.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 12 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

What were the original ones? It's been a while, and I think I was only in this series briefly, in one that never got anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-
Common Poster
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 12 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm

Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Light, Shadow, Matter, Space, Dimension, and a few others I can't think of the other ones right now.

The two that have been stricken out are gone, and not sure if I want to keep Dimension.
Back to top Go down
Warcodered
Refugee
Warcodered

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Jan 2014, 1:55 am

lightning/electricity would be a good element.
Back to top Go down
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Jan 2014, 8:18 am

Looking at old threads, I dunno about asserting that full personality archetypes correspond to biological distinctions, assuming those are the primary (meta)physical properties denoted by a demon's element. But thematically, the Western classical elements do have interesting bundles of concepts associated with them.

Here's a possible set of thematic subtypes, arranged roughly along a Shadow - Light axis. Since I jotted them down before noticing some elements had gone up in the OP.

FireWindWaterEarth
InfernalHollowedAbyssalTroglodytic
SpiritedBarometricTidalSteeled
LuminescentDiscursiveCleansedJeweled
_
No electromagnetism, unfortunately. Spirit might be close to Lightning: speed, power, (loosely) storms. Although it does appear to lack associations with metal and computation.
Back to top Go down
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 15 Jan 2014, 2:09 pm

A plant like one, or something to do with plants, life, the wild, etc. Unless there are plans for that. Everything else I think of can be put into subtypes or combinations of the stated types already.
Back to top Go down
Warcodered
Refugee
Warcodered

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 15 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

So there's earth,fire, wind, and water. The next element would be heart then.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 15 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm

Balufire wrote:
A plant like one, or something to do with plants, life, the wild, etc.  Unless there are plans for that.  Everything else I think of can be put into subtypes or combinations of the stated types already.
A plant one, if following the shadow to light axis that Jazz set up, might look like Fungal, Growth, and Flower (or something). I'm clearly not very good at this. Flower might have to do with natural aromas, mind-altering effects, pheromones, et cetera.

Though I'm not sure what to be going for this time around, I do miss Abasi. He was a bug-like humanoid (scarab to be more precise) and was a poison demon at the time.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 15 Jan 2014, 11:50 pm

Erk, flowers are sex organs. So of course they have fertility and attractiveness going for them. But I hardly see what makes fungi creepy, threatening, or... ah, it's motivation enough, though. Life pretty much covers Heart, kinda sorta, except for most of the 'caring' thing.

Life: Viral - Constricted - Self-Refined

I could use some different adjectives for 'the difficulty of being born into a poor strategic position' and 'the intermediate, yet intricate, yet potent products of evolution'. Mind-altering effects aren't obviously covered here, but Discursive might suit. Communication, manipulative or otherwise, doesn't need to be carried in words.

Picking a form of life or some other concrete entity in addition to a theme might help to define characters. It is interesting that poison clicks with bug, in the abstract, given the diversity of arthropods.

Also, I took a stab at alternate names for the current set of elements so that their referents would have more similar types, for what it's worth.
Am blanking on a god of disease and cursedness, though. And far too many of the ones in the list are Greek.

person-names: Prometheus (or some other fire-stealer), XuĂ¡n WÇ” (houses Aquarius, pertains to water), Notus (storm-bringer, destroyer of crops), Hades (or Demeter, or Persephone), ???, Themis (divine justice), Nyx (or Erebus)

event-names: inferno, flood, cyclone, tremor, miasma, judgment, blindness
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 8:25 am

The idea I had behind fungal was that fungi regularly plays a part in decomposition. And assuming there are aspects of that "element" that a demon could manipulate offensively, perhaps they could have the ability to send out spores into the air with a wide range of effects they could selectively impose upon another. From mind-alteration, have it be breathed into the lungs to restrict their breathing, or even an affect similar to the Ophiocordyceps. Though that may require a powerful demon to perform that sort of action effectively.

As for the character I made, it was yeeeears ago. What went through my mind was basically "holy shit I can make a bug man this is awesome". Naturally I went with poison, because people generally correlate the two with one another, whether it's done unconsciously or not. Would you think that poison demons would fall under "Viral" and its many forms? Or would you say that viral would be a bit too specified?

Though we are making a bunch of elements without Jac's approval, so there's no saying for sure whether all of this is going to pass or not. In that case, Abasi would likely fall under miasma (or miasmic, whichever way you want to look at it).
Back to top Go down
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

Hm, shoot, I've not read up on fungi yet. But I don't really associate them with causing malady in a way that other things (poisonous flowering plants, for instance) don't, I guess. Except for hijacking ants, perhaps. By itself, that's interesting, but I do hope that the kind of zombies currently in vogue don't become a thing here.

Fair enough! I figure that Viral means taking someone else's stuff and using it to propagate your thing, which is one kind of poison, whereas Hollowed seems more to do with poisons that merely shut down important physiological pathways.

Still, it's something to do while we wait.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 3:00 pm

How many elements do we really need, though, before it starts getting overcomplicated?
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm

That's what I was beginning to think. The original selection we had seemed doable enough. Except for Matter, Space, Dimension, and Hatred. We don't talk about those.
Back to top Go down
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 9:36 pm

Using only a single set of elements would be prudent, of course. I do enjoy the structure imposed by multiple axes. But whatever happens, I should be fine with.

I'm... sure things would go less awry given present company, quite possibly, maybe.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm

I'd rather more of a "take two and blend, with one more prominent" method, using a smaller pool of elements, myself.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 11:59 pm

Air Water Earth Fire

Air/Water: Storm
Air/Earth: Poison
Air/Fire: Light
Water/Earth: Wood
Water/Fire: Dark
Earth/Fire: Metal (metal is the other way to get lightning as one of your associations, but storm has more raw force behind it, whereas metal has finer innate control)

Last edited by Snowy on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Jan 2014, 2:38 am

Why are their two woods? On of those should be poison, me thinks.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Jan 2014, 2:57 am

Okay, then one of them can be poison. I couldn't think of much else :p
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Jan 2014, 8:16 am

Earth and water, I would say, should demonstrate some control over life. Wood seems a bit too restricted, whereas control over plant-life, dominance over wildlife and minor healing capabilities would allow for more versatility.

Not sure what to make of the earth + air combo. Doesn't sound like poison, though granted, toxic fumes definitely have something to do with air, but for actual poisons... perhaps as metal has some control over lightning, generally being a storm quality, life could work in conjunction with something else? I don't know. We might have to add another element to the mix to get the spectrum. Earth + air sounds like sand and sandstorms.
Back to top Go down
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Jan 2014, 12:50 pm

Oh, if we're doing primary/secondary elements, perhaps we'd like to characterize them as transitions? This might yield the desired combinations more easily, though I've not tested it out.

Using the five Chinese classical elements - there's a diagram on Wikipedia - the idea is that element(i) generates element(i+1) and overcomes element(i+2), where the elements are water -> wood -> fire -> earth -> metal -> water.

So for any pair of elements (not both the same), we have one of these relationships, possibly reversed. We can then code for growth using water/wood, dessication using wood/water, air using fire/water, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 17 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm

There's not much one can come up with for air/earth. And that's generally what I use "wood" for, so no problem there.
Back to top Go down
Warcodered
Refugee
Warcodered

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014, 9:07 pm

Air combined with earth sounds like sand to me.
Back to top Go down
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-
Common Poster
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu 30 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

Okay, soooo back! Been doing stuff recently, things have been crazy, but now I can direct attention to this yet again! Quite a few nice ideas I see put forward as well, I will have to look over them carefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC   Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demons' World ~ A Strange Paradise Called Eden OOC
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next