WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC

Go down 
+10
Admiral Ji
Patches
Zorthax
brendan
Alex
€rim
Balu
Surprise
Rachel
Shade
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC Empty
PostSubject: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

A discussion place for any form of entertainment.

I'll kick the conversation off with Watchmen and Fire Emblem. Anyone seen/played them? Also, is Shadow Dragon worth buying? I'm slowly getting hooked on the series once more. I figure I can buy it off eBay cheap, given that it's a few years old, so if it sucks I'm not losing that much.

As for Watchmen, easily one of the best novels I 've ever read.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeWed 19 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original Fire Emblem game. It has updated graphics (which actually pale in comparison to Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones), the ability to switch most character's class, but... It's really not on par with the other games. If you want to see where the whole series began, and where most of the Archetypes got their names, then go right on ahead. I won't stop you. I just don't really recommend the game.

Err... Just as a note; if you do get the game, the Myrmidon class was not in the original game. Just thought you might like to know that.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try it, just to see what it's like.

By the way, what are your thoughts on Rekka No Ken? I think you said you just got the game? Where are you in it?
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

I haven't had much of a chance to play it... I'm going through it the first time on Easy. I just got Wallace.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

Never really used Wallace much, to be honest. Usually I play Lyn's story on Hard, because it lets you give the Knight Crest to whoever you want. You can abuse Sain or Kent and then have a Paladin when you start the next story mode.

Also, when you get to the end of level 10 make sure that Nils is level 7 and that you've already used all your stat-upgrading items. You'll thank me later, haha.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 7:30 pm

Hmm? I'm on a board devoted to the game, and I must say, I have never heard that.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Well the Nils thing is debateable. See, there's a side-sidequest later on that is incredibly difficult to unlock. You have to get Nils to level 7 in Nils story and defeat a very difficult sideboss (he has ungodly high speed and leaves the turn after you attack him, so you have to kill him in one turn).

I'm not sure if that sidequest is only available on Hector's mode or not, so if it's your first playthrough it may not be there.

ALso, after Lyn's story your characters lose everything in their inventory, so use the powerups you get. Saving onto them would be the smarter idea, I think, but sadly you can't. Just my reccomendation, I'd give the Angelic Robe and the Energy Ring to Lyn. If she has a good Strength growth, she kicks ass, but right now she has maybe 5 strength at level 12 or so.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

... I've been giving my stat boosters to Florina, actually. I've heard talk that if you use her often and give her stat boosters, she can kick ass.

I'll keep all that in mind; thank you Shade!
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

I think I only used Florina once, but she was decent when I used her: I can't remember the archetype name, but she's ungodly weak to start off with but pretty good later on.

And, if you've been trolling ANY fire emblem forum, you'll know not to use Marcus when Eliwood's story starts. He's a Paladin that has atrocious growths, but is strong to start off with.

Like me. Except I STAY awesome.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 5:19 pm

Ah, Marcus is an older man, isn't he? That, coupled with his decent beginning stats and Paladin class make him a Jeigan archetype.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

Yeah. Very late in the game, you can get a character who starts off at a ridiculously low level but is ungodly good (pretty much 50% growths across the board). I'd give the name, but it may spoil it. I think that's an "Est", if I remember correctly.

Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

Indeed... An Est archetype, named after a Pegasus Knight who joins who incredibly late in Shadow Dragon, but who can, if used a lot (BOSS BASHIN'), can be ungodly god.

Isn't the one in Rekka no Ken a Mage...?
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

Yes. She can be quite hard to level up, as at that point in the game there are only four or five chapters left. On Hector's mode, you can get two more sidequests, but if you do Eliwood's mode you'll have to use her a lot.

I normally (and, if you're a Fire Emblem purist, look away) use the Mine glitch on the chapter afterward and let her kill EVERYONE. It gets her up to level 20, usually, and I can promote her and use her as a member of my actual team afterwards.

Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 10:07 pm

I only ever played sacred stones, and not all the way through. it never really appealed to me. It's just... I dislike turn based strategy, you know? The only thing I determined in the whole time I spent playing was? that if you had a max level dancer, white mage, and knight/paladin, you could kick ass. The dancer lets you attack twice as much, and the white mage ensures your knight doesn't get asploded.

On another topic entirely, Fallout is pretty sick. I'm on my first playthrough of new vegas, and I'm finding that the difficulty is sporadic- in one spot I died 3 times because of a single super mutant master, but in another I breezed through 2 separate quests without using more than 4 sunset sarsparilla.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 10:24 pm

Replace that Paladin with a Beserker Ross or a Great Knight Franz or a Joshua Swordmaster would be better. I hate Paladins... Except in the GameCube game. You get to choose their second weapon upon promotion... Astrid, the useless Bow Knight, can get AXES.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

There's a few good knights. Though joshua is freaking sick. Paladins are cool, too, so long as you never touch seth. keep that shitling out of combat. his stats are too low for his level.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 11:33 pm

Actually, he's a decent prepromote; he's an Oifrey, not a Jeigan (in other words, if you want to use him as more than a meatshield, you can).
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 11:46 pm

he's fine.... unless you plan to use him late game. Then your better off finding a journeyman who can become a paladin, or training one of the princes men.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

... Amelia can become a Paladin... I just hate them. So I always have her go the route of the General... Something abouy a young girl in giant red armor wielding a huge sword just appeals to me. For the Cavaliers, I always go Great Knight.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

kool. Anyway, that's about as much as I can talk about the game. As I said, never got too far in it.

you play minecraft? it's a pretty sick game.
Back to top Go down
Balu
Common Poster
Balu

Location : Hehe Being forgotten, invisible, and left to my own devices. Bad idea,

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 12:58 am

Minecraft is the Shit man... too bad I don't own it... SSP only for me...
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 12:29 pm

Fallout's pretty fun, but some of its appeal has worn of for me. In a few months or a year, I'll remember it and that will be all I play for a while, then the cycle will repeat. I'm weird like that.

I'm still saying the all around best unit in Sacred Stones was Wyvern Lord Cormag. If you gave him a Delphi Shield he would kick ass. He had great defense, health, and strength, with the Delphi shield arrows no longer hurt him (or maybe it was a Fili shield, I can't remember) , and his only real threat was mages. He could be superior or equal with every weapon in the triangle, and even mages weren't that big a threat. None of them had quite his range (especailly if you were a tool and gave him the Boots that let him move 2 more spaces like me) so he could get in and kill them in one hit before they could get close to harming him. The exception being the mages with, say, Bolting; but come on, everyone's screwed when that happens.

I always tried to get Colm to be a really kickass Assassin, but it never quite worked out. I remember in Rekka No Ken, I had this one miraculous file where one of my thieves had ungodly stat growths (I believe he maxed out his strength, which is unheard of for a thief) and I was so ecstatic, every time I play a Fire Emblem game I'm always hoping my thief will turn out like that again.

Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

My suggestion for countering Bolting is almost the same as my suggestion for countering ballistae. The difference? Use a Bishop instead of a General. Bishops are like the tanks of the magic world... In Shadow Dragon, there is a badguy named Gharnef, who is an extremely powerful late-game boss. He does, however, show up before his proper level wherein he serves as a boss, and, yes, he does attack you. Fortunately, I had my first Cleric (Lena) already promoted. She was a level one Bishop, and Gharnef is... A high leveled Druid.

There's this one-man bridge... I put Lena there with Fire. Gharnef attacks her for 0 damage and then ran the hell away.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm

Haha. I do think I played Shadow Dragon once...all I can remember is that I did the forging thing and made some sword have this ungodly high damage and critical rate. I sold everything I had to afford it.

Back to top Go down
€rim
User
€rim

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

I feel like I need to play the FE series now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC   Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Games, Movies. Books, ETC
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next