WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

RPP Chat Thread

Go down 
+44
Ømnivalence
JazzTap
Master of ImpZ
Mr Allen J
flametitan
GreatSocrates
UrbanEvolution
Szemetlada
Gnd
Tierax
Alietum
KING DCT
LegionOfShadows
Solace Goddark
The Midnight Stalker
Darkel
MoonlightDreams
Wchraemht
Shade
The Illusive Badger
ron
Sadie
TheWhalerus
Tyranzilla
Dinh_AaronMk
Jacokonus -Ash Bringer-
TheNarrator
€rim
Sylvia van Novaya
Alex
brendan
lUN_Cat16
Surprise
Deoxyspine
RedBalloon
andavocados
Midnightclub
unit111
DrPlatypus
Balu
Diamondback
Rachel
Wanderer
marsh
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29 ... 42  Next
AuthorMessage
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue 04 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

THis is all true. It's what Germany did in WW1 Took russia out of the war with a treaty and focused on the western front.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue 04 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

If I recall it was more Lenin who decided that because no one in Russia wanted to be in the war and the October Revolution kept them in it. By the November Revolution Lenin seized power and offered a treaty to the Germans so they can get out of it.

Which gave them an opportunity to concentrate on the White Army in their counter-revolution and kept the pretty piss-poor Russian army from being butchered.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

That is true. didn't think of that. Did you know that the US had troops in Russia during the Russian Revolution?
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Dec 2012, 3:35 pm

Yes. I also knew that WWI didn't end till long after Germany's defeat, because the British and Americans were fighting the Russians.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

I'm Impressed. Most folks don't know that.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Dec 2012, 4:45 pm

I had to double check on that.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 05 Dec 2012, 6:56 pm

Damn Ruskies, always dragging everything out.

On a slightly unrelated note, is it irritating to everyone else how many generals commit the same stupid mistakes in Russia? It happened in the Great Northern War if I remember correctly (but I could very easily be wrong there, it's been a while), Napoleon, Hitler. I'm no military strategist, and I understand ego and pride cloud these kinds of judgments, but it seems like Napoleon "redesigned-Cannae-at-15" Bonaparte should've picked up on the fact the Russians were letting the elements do their work for them. Even the Russians didn't use common sense when they invaded Finland in 39-hey, maybe our tanks won't move very far over these dirt roads and woodland trails.

Hitler never stood a real chance, but it's interesting to see what kind of mistakes undo the huge armies and leaders in history. Fun to think about how far Alexander the Great, Napoleon, etc, would've gotten if X hadn't happened.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

It doesn't particularly help that Russia is an immense landscape that can stretch logistics to the point they break. In the presented cases, the logistics and resources present in Russia for the Russians are as determining factor as the weather was. And blaming these failed campaigns on the weather itself is sort of covering a tiny aspect of the story.

In World War 2 itself all the Russians needed to do to recover from the casualties at Stalingrad and Leningrad was to issue another wave of draft slips and choke the Germans with their dead. The Russians may have had the shittier weapons, but they could make up for it in mass-production. The Germans (and in Napoleon's case: the French) simply can't sustain the casualties that the Russians can take.

And when it comes to surviving Blitzkrieg tactics the Russians could produce the munitions needed to render those offenses null. Which is to say: an unbelievable number of mines, rockets, and other high explosives.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 5:10 pm

Also, the Germans were obsessed with taking cities. If they'd just burned them when they passed them by the Russians wouldn't have stood a chance- most of the German casualties happened fighting in or around cities they had no reason to try and take. The Russians don't have an advantage unless you give them one, Germany. Stop walking into logistical nightmares.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

Another mistake Hitler made was his blitzkrieg was basically an adapted version of Napoleons tactics, only with tanks and planes instead of horses and Cannons. Dumb I think, Plus anybody with a bit of sense can see that a war during the Russian Winter is a Dumb idea
Back to top Go down
ron
User
ron

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

I don't think a war in Russian winter would be too bad if you avoided the enemy whenever possible, and only really played defense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombo.com/
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

Nowadays, Russia in a nutshell:

Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 5:46 pm

you sure that's not LA? Kidding. Still War in a Russian Winter is a bad idea, especially if you have long Supply lines like Hitler and Napoleon had. No food and supplies is a bad thing and with the Russians Scorched Earth policy it only made things worse for both of them.
Back to top Go down
Shade
Common Poster
Shade

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu 06 Dec 2012, 11:11 pm

I believe it was Leningrad where, when they heard the Germans were approaching, the Russians ordered the civilians of the city to start digging trenches.

For days on end, without taking off the days off that even the Soviets gave to them. They picked up shovels and dug. Just. Fucking. Did it.

I can't imagine anything like that happening these days. I'm not saying I'd enjoy living in the Soviet Union by any means, but it just amazes me the kinds of stories that come out of that time period in history. The man with the most confirmed kills of all time, Simo Hayha. Audie Murphy. The guys who grabbed shovels and carved out trenches for Leningrad. Erwin Rommel. World War II fascinates me.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri 07 Dec 2012, 6:16 pm

I got a book on all tanks made between WW1 and 1965
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri 07 Dec 2012, 9:30 pm

Wow this is one of those weird times when I don't know the most history of all the people in the room.

It's pleasant. Means I get to actually learn some stuff.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Stalker
Refugee
The Midnight Stalker

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun 09 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

YAY. Good for you.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed 12 Dec 2012, 1:02 am

Pick up Metro 2033 for free via promotional event.

Realize that at the rate it's installing on Steam you may not get to play it until tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
GreatSocrates
User
GreatSocrates

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2012, 6:50 pm

If anyone wants a good post-apocalyptic rp, check out Brink of Extinction in the OOC section. The OP is probably my best-written piece to date.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri 14 Dec 2012, 7:27 pm

The Midnight Stalker wrote:
YAY. Good for you.

pfffft.
Back to top Go down
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 12:52 am

maxxtoron wrote:
If anyone wants a good post-apocalyptic rp, check out Brink of Extinction in the OOC section. The OP is probably my best-written piece to date.

But does it have Ron Paul, as the SO reboot does?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sadie
Frequent Poster
Sadie

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 5:16 am

Wonderbolt Academy was... meh...

That's pretty much all I've got.
Back to top Go down
http://people.ign.com/jokie155
Solace Goddark
User
Solace Goddark

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

*Listens to Celldweller and feels depressed because stuff*
Back to top Go down
GreatSocrates
User
GreatSocrates

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

Dinh_AaronMk wrote:
maxxtoron wrote:

But does it have Ron Paul, as the SO reboot does?

Spoiler:

No, it does not have Ron Paul. Ron Paul has be disintegrated.
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

But Ron Paul is SO BRAVE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RPP Chat Thread   RPP Chat Thread - Page 16 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RPP Chat Thread
Page 16 of 42Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29 ... 42  Next