WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

The Earthheart - OOC

Go down 
+5
Master of ImpZ
Gnd
Patches
JazzTap
Snowy
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 5:37 am

If they're not that modernized, that'd bode badly for history - just ask the Aztecs...

I'd also be cool with Huginn having less land, maybe allow Vitreon a touch more space? And maybe the lower continent could have that rightmost bit pulled up a bit to close off the mouth of the seas a little more - makes the wastes bigger if you leave us about the same amount of overseas territory as we do now.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

I also don't want to be a pain, but a lot of the countries have shifted around since Before Mata... Like all of though SE Human countries are now in the West.

I mean unless you had something else in mind and I'm missing something.

The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 JWYkVPe
Also I drew Raizerr, sans hands and a second pair of wings, but you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 5:47 pm

Heeey looking good Omni :D

Oh shoot. I musta not reread the document carefully xD Gimme a bit, sorry!!

Last edited by Szemetlada on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm

No problem Mata! Thank you for being understanding. The actual idea of where things are is towards the bottom, though its not fully up to date. D:
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 5:58 pm

I can understand it, it's okay Mata. We never explicitly stated set in stone location things. I mean, I'm not sure how specifically important it is that nations end up set up exactly proper, if only because this isn't a game about the nations themselves. So if it's a lot of work to reshuffle the map, I at least, would be fine leaving everything where it is, and just shrugging. At least for Huginn, we can still "claim" to be a major trade power, even if that'd be technically improbable in a nations game.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

So I get that Huginn seems really out of the way, but like, from a westward-sailing point of view, isn't Westerly right next to Hugnin? Because between squeezing through that Fleshshaper atoll and the very-likely rocky straight that separates Hollimene and Mictathuria, Hugnin could very likely be a resting stop or central hub for traders and ships, especially if we establish that straight too dangerous and rocky for conventional sailing. A Huginn port along the Muninn sea seems ideal for taking in Westerly and Hollimene ships. And then it'd also be a great place for other Mictathurian traders to set up shop and take their riches back home with them.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

But you don't go through the straight, if the orcs/fleshshapers were smart, they'd be the ones receiving and putting out ships. That is one of the most ideal trading positions I've ever seen.

And going west, it's easier to get to Holliméne. (Unless the dust plains are empty? I'm not sure.) You are of course correct that, with that little offshore colony bit, Huginn is currently poised to have some level of control over ships trying to go around in a western capacity (Or, they would, but, modern sailing ships wouldn't need to make that stop, remember, we're futuristic, as well as fantastical.) But the grand majority of trade would still head towards that central crescent.

Like I said, it's not too important, and you are offering up good ideas, yeah. It's fine if nothing changes, if only because "good at trading" is a thing we can claim and not need to prove for the story's sake. It's honestly fine if Mata doesn't want to do anything about it.

And, as one further note, as James pointed out, the Muninn sea isn't doing us nearly as many favors as was intended. :p Only Olm needs to use it, so a "port along it" would be the port at the mouth (which is the capital.), which is hardly a "sea" port. Semantics hooooo!
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 7:15 pm

Semantics hooooo, more like semantics hoe!

Well, perhaps that can play a part of a story. Since trade a very integral part of the vrana's culture, perhaps they try to find a more ideal location for trade. A la British-style imperialism. Go down to the southern part of that crescent island, cook up a colony, wipe out any of those primitive orc tribesmen without consideration, and voila. Perhaps the colony even sets out to revolt against Hugnin and their taxes. Congratulations, we suddenly have the United States of Bird People.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 7:19 pm

The issue with that is, at our current point in "history" if imperialism was to happen at all in this setting, it would already have passed. Every continent currently has "modern tech" people on it, who would probably come to the aid of the lesser countries I'm surprised they hadn't taken over or at least "vassalized" yet. But yes, yes if this was a nations game, that is exactly what Huginn would do first. :p That or conquer the rest of The Dust Plains. Either way, tribals, meet aeroplane, naval bombardment, and modern infantry. We'd like to borrow your land indefinitely.

I mean, remnants of past colonization could imply Huginnese minorities across the planet, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
GreatSocrates
User
GreatSocrates

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

I think switching Jedz and Huginn would work but it would also change Huginn's climate. I mean, I'd imagine that a body of water called the tropics would be, well, tropic.

Also, two things i noticed with the new map:

a) there's a section of land south of Murmurar that is unclaimed.

b) the Empty Place is a singly city which I had written was between Tannarin and Larocia. Now it is a large island nation. If you'd prefer that the Empty Place is at sea, though, then I'm cool. It is your world after all, Mata.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon 16 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm

I would agree, but Huginn already has tropical locations, and the main region, where the sea should be, is already level with midway through Jedz, so porting it there shouldn't meaningfully change much. But I agree, that is a bit of a stickler. Like I said, I don't want to make too much of a hassle.
Back to top Go down
Ømnivalence
Frequent Poster
Ømnivalence

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 11:59 am

Thank you to whoever improved upon my original cities by nation and continent design it looks way better now than it did before.
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 3:33 pm

Okay, how about this?

https://i.imgur.com/DbS4JyA.png
Back to top Go down
JazzTap
User
JazzTap

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 4:27 pm

Looks good to me. Really good.

I'll write up my thoughts at greater length in a bit. Am feeling some colonialist ambitions regarding the southern continent, and traderly ambitions regarding the western.

Edit:
Admiral Ji wrote:
Proper advances could give soldiers internal HUDs that let them see through mounted cameras... thicker, more protective helmets... even less loss of sight. Faceless enforcers ho!
Tempting, yeah. Eventually, though, the only point in using a meat enforcer is that it's cheaper than a drone. Is the expense of installing reliable cameras really warranted by a marginal improvement to survivorship?

That said, some degree of enhanced awareness (thermal camera, minimap...) is almost definitely a good use of a HUD. Better camouflage our guys against the relevant sensor technologies. And, uh, try to keep that tech out of / useless in mass circulation.

I really was digging the full-VR + powered armor thing at one time. Scary to have any of that stuff break while you're wearing it, though. (Not like bodies don't do the same thing when someone shoots them.)

Last edited by JazzTap on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 6:02 pm

New map seems a lot less deliberately composed and a lot more natural. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 6:24 pm

Oh yeah, getting trapped in your own equipment would be terrible, but I suppose ideally, someone comes by and saves you. Maybe through an emergency transponder located in your you, and not the suit. Some sort of chip, or something, anything you could activate while stiffened.

And now I'm debating at some point getting Rhaokin "Stuck" in her equipment... /suddenly an automata, at some point, much later, when it's dramatic, and I have a sweet killbot, ideally.

I like the new map too. Looks good to me.

Oh! We never mentioned a capital. I think we settled on the capital's name being Kollavik, and I'd put it on that little peninsula near the mouth of the sea. Not that I'm asking for more edits, just, if you make any more, there you go. Totally spaced on that.

Last edited by Admiral Ji on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GreatSocrates
User
GreatSocrates

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

I don't quite understand why the human countries needed to be moved, but I guess it makes a lot of sense if you're going for an old world v. new world approach.

EDIT: Also, despite literally all of you saying that I should make a monster hunting prince, I think I'm going to make a cook instead.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 10:24 pm

Nothing wrong with that Socrates, though I now fully expect Glenn to steal your hat at every opportunity, if you have a chef's hat.

And, nothing's stopping you from being both. Monster hunter who seeks the wildest, most dangerous game and plants to make delicious gourmet meals out of.
Back to top Go down
Master of ImpZ
User
Master of ImpZ

Location : Looking up, wondering what is beyond the platinum star

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 10:32 pm

Thats an anime actually. Toriko. Monster hunter gourmet.
Back to top Go down
GreatSocrates
User
GreatSocrates

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm

Master of ImpZ wrote:
Thats an anime actually. Toriko. Monster hunter gourmet.

Are you freaking joking? They'd make an anime out of everything.

The prince isn't actually a chef. He just wants to be one but he's a prince so he can't do that. He doesn't want to be a king or a soldier. He just like making food.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm

Glenn can show him how to make a real hearty meal.

Step 1: Take that dainty shit you just made and chuck it full-throttle into the trash.
Step 2: Slap a giant honking slab of meat onto the grill/pan.

A feast fit for any self-respecting mortal that climbed its way to the top of the food chain.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015, 11:40 pm

The Ron Swanson school of food?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

I find either of your foods trite, and not seeking true culinary perfection. You should experience proper Huginnese cuisine, then, you will know bliss...
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2015, 12:49 am

Huginnese cuisine is truly unrivaled in any nation.
Back to top Go down
Szemetlada
Contributor
Szemetlada

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2015, 12:54 am

Huginnese cuisine is beast!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Earthheart - OOC   The Earthheart - OOC - Page 10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Earthheart - OOC
Page 10 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next