WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

DnD and other such things

Go down 
+4
Surprise
Admiral Ji
Snowy
Diamondback
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

DnD and other such things  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed 16 Jan 2013, 6:47 pm

brb never doing schoolwork again after finding that
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 9:39 am

Heh. Not really sure how you even do a DnD let's play. Aside from just recording everything, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

BY BEING AMAZING

in all honesty you'd need a camera on everyone's face at all times. Sometimes the reactions are the best. The groans when someone starts grappling, the "FUCKING IDIOT" when someone triggers a trap everyone else noticed, the "WHY IS OUR FIGHTER IN THE OTHER ROOM" when he wanders off to loot something moments before enemies attack...

But some things would be fucking hilarious. like when we got in an argument with the fighter, trying to convince him not to "hug" an NPC who was frightened, failed, and had the DM tell him to "roll for sexual assault". That was fucking amazing.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 11:56 am

The issue is awesome moments can be few and far between. You'll often just be listening in to people take inventory, for instance.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm

This is when acting skills come in handy. Though it would turn it into more of a comedy show than a let's play.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Dinh_AaronMk
User
Dinh_AaronMk

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

Ji wrote:
Heh. Not really sure how you even do a DnD let's play. Aside from just recording everything, I guess.

Well it's not so much filming a physical game in a awkward attempt for eight scare cams.

The podcast I posted in relation to this goes over briefly how they do. Capt Ironicus and his friends use online hosting that includes graphics and all that fun stuff. So it's played out like any other game being LP'd with the addition of several other people adding commentary, and in all probably being silly.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri 18 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

Well yes, that's what I meant. I play online more often than physically now a days.

I suppose our conversations are funny when they're funny. I guess you just need the right personalities in the group. You also need to try to not take inventory on "camera". I say a Pathfinder LP derailed for like thirty minutes, because the party was figuring out how much money they each had, and what they could spend it on at the present time.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

Well, I've decided to not jump into DMing first.
I'm joining a group, which, according to my friend, "only has 4 people, counting the DM."
Any tips before my first session? How to not be THAT GUY?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:03 pm

Do what we make a priority here. Don't try to hog the spotlight, try not to cause problems. Oh, and bring snacks. E'r'body loves it when you bring snacks. And definitely do not try to min-max incredibly. It's all fine and good if you're great at things and have an interesting character, but make Pun-Pun and I would personally melt down your character sheet.

Four players and a DM really is the sweet spot anyway, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

So essentially, be all-around chill.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:07 pm

Basically yeah. It might also be wise to ask for the tone of the game you're going into. People might complain if you entered a dungeon crawl group with your richly nuanced character who is constantly engaging in flowery dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

Dungeon crawls are essentially where everyone dies at least once, no?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:12 pm

No, a dungeon crawl is a game of Diablo: the board game. Where everyone dies at least once is referred to as Hell and "Find a new GM, player death should not be excessively common." At least from my point of view, but I prefer a narrative so what do I know.

Dungeon Crawls are basically group of guys enter dungeon and killbliterate everything inside, take the loot, leave. Nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

Oh. No story or anything.
Whereas, campaigns are big and story-rich, right?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Campaign is a vague term. It is technically a story yes, but it could be a series of mostly related dungeon crawls.

But yes, there are different ways to do things, and different tones. Is the group one for intrigue, lies, and paranoia? Do they like to feel like big damn heroes, getting things done? Or are they trying to tell the story of becoming the hero? Just things to learn before starting to make a character.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013, 6:19 pm

I'm going to interrogate my buddy who's a member of this group when next I see him.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

Oh hellz yeah.
Got a player's guide and DMG.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 8:12 pm

Woo.

Depending on your edition you will now immediately go track down all other player supplements to violently minmax your character. Wait no, that does not depend on edition.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

I'm runnin 4e. Of course, I only have one person who MAY be able to come over, so we'll see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

T'was a joke, but good to see someone with 4e around.

'll else fails, hit me up and I can show you how to do it over the intertubes. We could make it a thing here.
Back to top Go down
Rachel
Frequent Poster
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm

Oh reeeeeeeeally?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

Yesh. Yesh I could. I found a more helpful virtual tabletop, doesn't require networking, and then we just all open a chat client. Mission accomplishimo.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

Any group that will meet regularly is good enough for me (provided I'm not at work when it happens).
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun 21 Apr 2013, 11:51 pm

And I do actually have a setting and a plot I want to run, but for my group being haphazard, I'm having a hard time using it.

Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon 22 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

eww eww eww eww eww

4e

eww

just

eww

I mean, the spell system alone makes me hate it. What the fuck is all that per encounter crap? I liked my per day spells perfectly fine, thank you very much! *grouch*

Basically, here's the rule for playing D&D- the longer someone's been playing, the more versions they hate. I don't think I know anyone who still plays second edition, but I know people who play three, three point five, fourth, and even pathfinder. Mostly because between 3.5 and 4 they screwed the pooch on the spell system, resulting in anyone who had any desire to play a caster ever turning their nose up at it.(also, whats the 'healing surge' thing I read about? That's just... what?)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DnD and other such things
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next