WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
WAIT! Without signing in or registering onto the forum, you will only be able to see a limited amount of our forum's content. To see everything that we have to offer, please sign in or register. If you are new to the forum and wish to register, it is recommended to be at least 13 years old as profanity and mature discussion goes without prohibition under normal circumstances. Thank you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Forum revival in process, stay tuned!
If you have trouble logging in or have lost your password, email an administrator.
If you have an idea on how to improve the forum, please post your suggestions!

DnD and other such things

Go down 
+4
Surprise
Admiral Ji
Snowy
Diamondback
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

DnD and other such things  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon 22 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Heaven forbid different.

I know plenty who swear by second and damn the others. I honestly take no issue with any of them. But that's a discussion that is swiftly becoming silly to continue. Quite simply, let's leave edition wars out of this.

But yeah, I'm seriously bored. I can run a bit of a game if enough people want me too. Or, I'll play if someone else wants to run. :p
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Patrician of Ankh-Morpork
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

I'd be willing to help stat characters, to the limited extent of my knowledge (which mostly consists of using the character builder and saying, "hey, go nuts").
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/alaskanwyvern/
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

I'm a bit hazy on how to really play, my first and only game was full of fudged rolls and dick-shaped magic missiles.
Back to top Go down
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

4e spells are too complicated is my entire problem with it. Between per encounter, per day, and per session(hows that for immersion breaking? "Guys, we should probably delay for a bit because I can't use my best ability until next session"), I just don't get what's going on. The spell level system was much easier to understand, and level zero spells hardly needed explaining. I taught a new cleric how to choose his spells and how they worked in about two minutes, fallowed by five minutes of reading first level spells. It would have taken me considerably longer to explain the 4e stuff.

Actually, I have two other problems- it's too 'you're awesome' centric, obsessed with making the player feel powerful even at level one, and it breaks immersion way too much. Sure, half the game is going to have like zero immersion too, but I want that to be because my teammates are joking around, not because the system took the very idea of immersion out back with a shotgun.

Quote :
dick shaped spells
... That sounds like all of D&D right there. My first game the DM hated me because he had though to start us off with a dragon fighting quest at level ten, to get us really into the game. Then I managed to speech check a dragon into joining our side. Natural 20 for a critical success, yo!
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

Nobody is making you play in this game, should it happen. If you would rather a game from another edition be run, you're welcome to start your own. Until then, I believe you're the only one who is trying to have this conversation.

Last edited by AW on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

Well Eo, that'll help, though I could do that too. Got the minutiae down myself, so I should be able to help.

S'all good V, I've taught a looooot of people.

As opposed to per day, at-will, and X per fight abilities that were present in 3.5? I read the books. There's no per session by the way. I have no idea why older spells were any easier than 4e ones either. I found having to flip between the spell list, and the spell descriptions at least very infuriating when trying to pick what spells I liked, and took way longer than two or even five minutes.

But that's besides the point Joural, leave the edition wars at the door. It's not needed. Hell, I hate DnD with a fiery passion, because every edition is subpar in my opinion. There's significantly better games out there, but I'm not going to kick the door down and shout praise be to the book of Exalted or whatever I chose to hold above all others. Let people like what they want.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:17 pm

Dragonborn paladin of Bahamut.
Fuck you that's why.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:20 pm

Dragonborn Paladin of We'll figure this out.

My setting doesn't use the normal pantheon, Bahamut died a thousand years ago. Tiamet is still there if you'd like, and represents Justice among other things. And due to the way religion works in my setting (Aspects of a god, rather than the god itself, due to the small number of gods) you can still be good aligned.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

I was just saying that it was a very strong sounding character. I've no clue what I'll do if I ever join a game. I meant no disrespect.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

No disrespect was noticed at all.

I will say I've seen significantly too many of them, but that's not to say they're bad.

Are you saying you aren't interested in me throwing a game together on the forum though? I do need to know if I need to plan.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:35 pm

I'd love to join, if there were spots open.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:38 pm

There are currently 1/5 spots filled, excluding you. So woo, party of two. I need to bug Patches and some other people about giving it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:45 pm

Say.. how much does it cost to hire around 2,280 peasants and buy a ladder?
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:53 pm

Enough for the laws of physics to remind you that the stick wouldn't make it to the end of the peasants, and my other groups already tried to convince me to let the peasant railgun happen.

And at least more than you have. That's a lot of peasant.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2013, 6:56 pm

okie ddokeie bosss
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 12:48 am

So I think Archy wants to be a fighter. I'd suggest no doubling up on roles, and if you do, no doubling up on controller.

Coincidentally, I know all the classes, if anyone wants to discuss them.

I should make a topic for this...
Back to top Go down
Solace Goddark
User
Solace Goddark

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 2:08 am

My IRL friends do a Pathfinder thing every Wednesday, it sometimes devolves into just a laugh fest, but the fights require some strategy on the higher difficulties. We are doing epic difficulty, and the enemies we are facing are really pretty tough, although my character is the tank and melee damage dealer, considering my weapon does two types of damage and I get bonuses from two stats, and I use a D8. It's a fun time, and snacks are all over the place. But we aren't too far now. Sadly, we cannot do stuff online with it.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm

I've been meaning to try pathfinder.

How exactly does one tank and damage deal though? I was of the assumption the tank's job was to get hit in the damage dealer's place. Seems counter intuitive to do both.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

I always thought tanks hit hard and sponged damage, but moved slowly.
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm

In gaming parlance, the tank is the sponge and the attention-grabber. Moving slowly may be a side-effect, but not always. Damage goes to the striker/DPS.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 10:46 pm

As I often describe it to the tank, or as defense of my actions when he is I, the tank's job is to stand there and look pretty. He wants to be able to take a lot of damage, and try his hardest to maintain enemy attention. In Dnd he'd only move slowly if in heavy armor, or depending on his racial choice.
Back to top Go down
Diamondback
Frequent Poster
Diamondback

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm

Ooooohhhhhhh.
Back to top Go down
Patches
Advisor
Patches

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2013, 11:53 pm

So even a mage could be a tank if he is good at casting shields and wards.
Back to top Go down
https://rpproject.rpg-board.net
Surprise
Frequent Poster
Surprise

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 12:45 am

well... yes... but if you have a mage in D&D casting wards on himself, you have a pissed off party. Wards go best on the melee combatants, because their job is to keep things off the caster. Any caster buffing themselves over the fighters is in for a world of hurt.

Think of it this way- you're choosing to use a steel-reinforced piece of paper instead of adding the steel to the already formidable concrete wall.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Ji
Admiral Ji

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri 26 Apr 2013, 12:59 am

Well 4e does have a specific magey class that handles tanking, mostly with a self use only ward that is very helpful. And the ability to sword.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DnD and other such things    DnD and other such things  - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DnD and other such things
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: